Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Talented Mrs. Tracy

Hey, hey guess what?? You're never going to guess, so I'll tell you. I sewed something. I'm totally serious. And, NO, smarty pants, it wasn't a button. I sew buttons all the time. Ok, I sew buttons once every year or so, but that's not the point. I can see that I am getting ahead of myself already.

Last night at the gym, I was watching some free cable. It was some Supermodel reality show, on some ... I don't know, some obscure channel. Anyway, it was way lame, but goofy-treadmill-guy in front of me had the remote, so I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. The radio station that was supposed to pick up the sound wasn't working, and I was using Fan's MP3 player. Which meant, I was reading the captions on the lame Supermodel reality show while listening to a mix of David Archewhateverhisnamehis, Taylor Swift, and HSM1,2,and/or 3. Anyway, not the point (again.) The point is ... it got me thinking about fashion. High fashion, couture fashion, designer fashion. I came home and was absently cleaning out a drawer in the kitchen while eating ice cream (What? Didn't you hear me say I went to the GYM??) and stumbled across some old pictures of Fan. She's so cute and model-like and she always has been, even 5 or 6 years ago when the pictures were taken. At any rate, I went to bed with visions of designing some line of fabulous, modest high-fashion clothing and having Fan be my #1 model and spokesperson. (I blame the late night cable and ice cream - bad combo.)

Well, today I had the whole thing kind of in the back of my mind and I was remembering that Fan and I still haven't played with her new cool purple sewing machine that she got for Christmas. So I texted her (cause I'm cool like that) and said, "Let's play with your sewing machine after work/school today." She ended up going to a friend's house after school, but I still had the hankering to goof around. I busted out the sewing machine and the instructions and started threading it. For a really long time. Zariah got tired of watching me and gave up on the whole "sewing with mom" thing when she realized that her retarded mom didn't even know how to thread a sewing machine. Even with written instructions. I blame the bobbin.


At any rate, I did it. It took, I'm embarassed to admit how long, but I did it. Then, to try it out, I sewed something. That's right. I. Sewed. Something. I knew you wouldn't believe me, so I took some pictures.

See, that? That's the cool purplish/pinkish Bratz real functioning sewing machine. And perched right on it is the thing I sewed. See, here's a closeup ...

Admittedly, it is not high fashion. It is not even low fashion. It probably would not qualify as fashion of any type, not by any stretch of the imagination. As a matter of fact, it is absolutely nothing at all. Just a random scrap of fabric. BUT, if you look closely you will see that it is sewn on 3 whole sides. That means I turned corners and everything. AND as far as I know, I didn't even break the sewing machine. It's a long way off from designing a fashion line, I know. But I still sewed something.

Be impressed. Be very impressed.

7 comments:

  1. OH, I am. Incredibly impressed. :) I kind of want a cute purple machine like that. Maybe I'd actually sew more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SUPER impressed!! I can't wait to see the high-fashion stuff you're going to be turning out in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could we text all day friday and you not mention this tidbit of information. Seriously, i htink it takes precidence over how few kids I had that day and what line smead was discontinuing! You sewed!!! And the materiel looks like it was not bunched and ruined!!! not that you can't do anything you put your mind to.. I just can't beleive you put your mind to it.. This will open up a whole new area for us. When do you want to start quilting. it's way easier than wht you did. you only sew on one side at a time! we could even peice quilt. It's like paining by number. soooo easy. Really I am so happy we can share this new aspect of mormon womanhood

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laughing so hard! But, kudos to you. That's about as much as I've used the sewing machine Matt gave me for Christmas of '07.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the machine and I am impressed. I would love to be a seamstress but I am not very good at all. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I'm impressed! (But let's face it...I've been impressed with you since you were six and I was zero.) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha! You just have always made me laugh. great work!

    ReplyDelete