As some of you already know, I was laid off from my job yesterday. I had a fear that this might be coming, but I have been dutifully going to work every day hoping that it wouldn't. I don't really know how to describe how I feel right now. Strangely enough, it feels a little bit like being broken up with. (Not that I have ANY idea what that would feel like.) On the flip side, it is a wonderful blessing to be able to be at home where I have desperately wanted to be for so long. It's a strange feeling, that's for sure. Apparently, a big part of my identity was tied up in my work. I was really good at it, too. Altogether I feel a little hollow. And a little relieved. And a little sad. And a little stressed. Yep, that about covers it.
At any rate, it happened, and I have faith that everything will work out somehow. I am not silly enough not to realize the great blessings I still have in my life.
With that being said, I thought it would be fun to post my top 5 things I will miss about my job and the top 5 reasons I will enjoy my unemployment.
TOP 5 REASONS I WILL MISS MY JOB:
5. DRESSING UP. I mean, really, what a phenomenal waste of all my cute work clothes.
4. TWO WORDS: BISCUITS & GRAVY. So there's this catering truck that comes to Smead every morning at 9:15. Best biscuits and gravy ever. That's all I'm going to say.
3. FILE FOLDER EMERGENCIES. Bet you didn't know there was any such thing, did you? You'd be surprised. It always amuses me and helps me gain a little perspective when customers totally flip out about folders. You would think these things were made of oxygen.
2. VOICEMAILS FROM AUDRINA. Although I will get to spend more time with the midget herself, I will miss her tiny little sweet voice on my voicemail. "Mommy, can I have something to eat?" "Mommy, what are you doing?" "Will you tell daddy to let me use the computer?" Every. Day. Sometimes as often as 8 times a day. No kidding.
1. FAST INTERNET CONNECTION. Seriously. It took me three times as long to pay my dumb bills this morning. Sad.
(Yes, I purposely left things out like: co-workers, paychecks, making the mortgage payment, etc. It's not that kind of list. I mean, are you trying to bring me down? Geez!)
TOP 5 REASONS I WILL ENJOY MY UNEMPLOYMENT:
5. MY NEW WORK UNIFORM: SWEATS & FLIP FLOPS. Forget casual Friday. I'm talking about casual EVERY day. Yes, I enjoy dressing up, but I ALSO enjoy being comfortable. I will have a good few weeks of enjoying slumming around a little. All day. Every day.
4. TWO WORDS: SLEEPING IN. Need I say more?
3. MO BETTA BLOGGING. Well, I don't know about better. But definitely more. I mean, come on. I'll be made out of free time.
2. LESS LAUNDRY. (see reason#5)
1. FORTUNE & FAME. Let's face it people. Now that I don't have bosses and co-workers and needy customers (in addition to a husband and church responsibilities and needy kids) to take up all my energy, I can dedicate myself to becoming a rock star. Or an author. Or a famous philosopher. Or a guest anchor on Good Things Utah. Anything is possible.
Well, there it is. My Top 5 Lists. It will be a bit of a struggle for us, but I'm always up for a challenge, or at least the Lord seems to think so. Consider the lilies, right? I don't know if that means I'm going to end up living in a field, but I will not be spinning or toiling. And I hear that I'll be arrayed fabulously. What else could a girl ask for?