Wednesday, March 2, 2011

New Young Mom v. Old Mom

In Hollywood, everyone is having babies in their 30's and 40's. This is not usually the case in the rest of the world. It's ok. I accept and embrace my "Old Mom-dom." I have, however, noticed a few differences between myself and mothers who are younger and newer to momhood than me. Here are just a few:

New Mom: Purchases and totes with her everywhere a fashionable, new diaper bag with lots of pockets and a matching wipe case.
Old Mom: Shoves a diaper & wipes in her purse. Or, in a pinch, just sticks a diaper in her back pocket or hopes there is one in the car.

New Mom: Brings lots of snacks, fun toys & fancy-schmancy homemade quiet books with her to church or other outings.
Old Mom: "Ummmm. Here's a smashed Jr. Mint to eat and some some hand sanitizer to play with."

New Mom: Worries about every little thing her baby eats and is certain to only start foods when recommended by the pediatrician.
Old Mom: Starts her baby on milk around 11 months cuz it's close enough & formula is expensive. Feeds her baby whatever she can get her hands on when he's hungry. (see Jr. Mints above)

New Mom: Can't wait to go to every single school activity that her child is in. Muffins with Mom. Plays. Programs. Math Night.
Old Mom: Tries to bribe her daughters to please not make her go to Arts Night. Please.

New Mom: Makes sure to read with her children faithfully for 20 minutes every night after dutifully helping them with all of their homework.
Old Mom: Does reading the instructions off the box of a Mac & Cheese count? Here, quick read me the junk mail. It's time to go to bed. Crap! Homework. You can do it in the car on the way to school. Now hustle!!

New Mom: Finds time to blog about every cute little thing her child/children does/do. Including several pictures.
Old Mom: First blog in over a year. Do I really have to say it?




3 comments:

  1. Yay! You're back! Good thing I have contact with you other than through your blog, 'cause I'd be mighty sad to miss out on so much funniness in my life. (A year's worth of funniness, to be exact.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I didn't give up on you as a blogger (this means I left you on my blog roll even though it'd been forever since you updated). ;)

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete