Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Optimism: It's What's for Dinner

It has now been a week since my husband unexpectedly lost his job. I can't say that it's been a great week. There have definitely been both ups and downs. Moments where I feel peace and moments where all I want to do is redeem my Get Out of Nightmare Free card. But gloominess and self-pity have never been my strong suits. So I have taken to thinking about how it could be worse. Because it could definitely always be worse. And then I decided to compose 5 reasons why having an unemployed husband is not the worst thing that could have happened. In an attempt to be the glass half full kind of gal. Cuz who wants a half empty glass??

Reason #1: I could have an unemployed husband AND not have bought these shoes.
Admit it. That was a narrowly averted tragedy. I ordered these shoes on Monday and found out Tuesday night that LaVerl had lost his job. It could have been so much worse. Could you imagine if I had found out just one or two days earlier?? I never would have been able to justify buying not just one, but two pairs of gladiator wedges (I also bought them in black; I am nothing if not practical.) The ramifications are more than I can fathom. I had been searching far and wide for shoes such as these for months. That's right, months. So we may not have any source of income right now, but my feet...my feet at least are very happy. And pretty.



Reason #2: I could have an unemployed husband AND funny-looking kids.
I know, it's one of the most un-politically incorrect things I could say. I shouldn't be saying it. I need all the good karma I can get. But that doesn't make it untrue. Don't get me wrong. I do not take any of the credit for my gorgeous kids. We have all seen cases where beautiful people make some really funny looking kids and vice versa. And beauty, of course, is only skin deep. But my kids are also pretty amazing. They are funny and smart and resilient and kind (not to me or each other mind you, but generally speaking) and even the youngest of them understands the slight nuances of sarcasm. Lincoln, at the tender age of 4, just said to me the other day, "Your mom is too windy to play outside." That, my friends was a very proud yo mamma moment for me. Just thinking about it brings tears of pride to my eyes. My kids are awesome. I can't imagine how sad I would be if they weren't.

Reason #3: I could have an unemployed husband AND not have Netflix.
I should be cutting expenses right now. Anywhere and everywhere that I can. But I just can't make myself get rid of my $8 a month Netflix account. I. Cannot. Do it. Netflix has gotten me through some pretty rough times in the past, and this last week has been no different. Parks & Recreation. Arrested Development. Mad Men. Random documentaries on volcanoes and the Titanic. Where would I be without Netflix? In a very dark, very dreary and very humorless place. That's for sure.

Reason #4: I could have an unemployed husband AND live in a place where it snows 6" on Mother's Day.
Oh wait. It did?? I do?!? Oh, ok. Scratch that one then. I guess I could live somewhere where it snows...well, more than that. In fact, on May 4 of 1812, it snowed 12 inches in Keene, New Hampshire. It could be worse, I could live in Keene, New Hampshire...200 years ago. And then I also would have not had central heat. Or running hot water. Or great boots. And I would have had to wear a dress and probably a pettiskirt. All day long. No fleece jammie pants. That would definitely be worse. Far worse.

Reason #5: I could have an unemployed husband AND not have awesomely supportive family & friends.
Aw, I went and did it. I got serious. And mushy. It's true though. I have the best people in my life. The. Best. People. I've been showered with love and concern and support often from people and places I didn't even expect it. Those of you who know me know that I am fiercely independent. Fiercely. Sometimes (often...ok, almost always) to a fault. I would rather do just about anything than admit to my own weakness or need for help. It's true though. I am weak. And I need help. (See what I did right there?) And I have received it in droves. I love you. And appreciate you all more than I can say.

3 comments:

  1. Love this. Love your optimism. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel. You da best. I love YOU! But are you sure you're not just trying to butter me up so you can borrow my new shoes? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, can I borrow your new shoes?

    I'm sorry about LaVerl's job. So stinky. And I feel like you guys have gone through this before a few too many times. But I suppose the bright side of THAT is that maybe you are aware that it will all be okay in the end. And the bright side of it for me is that I have all of these great Cyndie posts to read. :) I miss you!

    ReplyDelete